Municipalities are under more pressure than ever to ensure that their constituents’ tax dollars are being accounted for properly. Today, “transparency” is the mantra for all local governments. We understand that the audit of a municipality plays a significant role in helping a local government’s management team maintain the support of its citizens.
We made a conscious commitment to serve municipalities at our inception almost 40 years ago, and that commitment is stronger than ever today. Our governmental audit team works closely with municipalities and provides a thorough audit of the financial records, while considering the unique aspects of the city or town. We not only audit year-end account balances, but also evaluate and test internal controls to ensure that the assets of your municipality are properly safeguarded for the future.
Accounting Services for Municipalities
Areas where we regularly assist municipalities beyond the scope of an audit include:
- Review of internal controls
- Preparation of audit schedules and review of annual financial reports prepared by another auditor to assist municipalities in meeting the internal expertise requirements
- Preparation of monthly bank reconciliations
- Preparation of an investment policy
- Capital asset recordkeeping
- Calculation of future debt service capability
- Identification of restrictions, commitments and assignments of fund balances in accordance with GASB Statement No. 54
- Assistance with the statistical section requirements of Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports
- Financial statement training for council or board members